Vision through Ears is a voluntary service group which got started to help the visually challenged students who study in Telugu Medium. We happened to come across their problems face to face which instilled us to prepare Audio books of text books, question banks, story books and personality development books. Our objective is to make them self reliable to certain extent and to enable them to learn themselves, not totally depending on others.
Why Audio books?
We live in a world where education travels not only through text books but in various levels as big screens, small screens, computers, internet, newspapers and books of all kinds. But the plea of the Visually Challenged Student (VCS) is far beyond all this! And poverty is another curse that obstructs them to go far sophisticated technology.
It is true that Braille is one method to enjoy the written word to gain knowledge. But too expensive for an individual student to buy all the books of the particular class in Braille. For example, a set of V Standard text costs Rs 100 in market (it is free supply for all Government Schools) which in Braille costs Rs 600 and VI standard books costs Rs.1700. Secondly, the volume of books! For a single subject they have 4-5 books and for all 6 subjects they need a big suitcase to carry them all!
- It is true that the development in technology has improved the standards of education of the visually impaired in this decade but not to the extent as it has developed for the normal student.
- Audio books for the visually impaired give them ample opportunity to learn subjects, hear stories and know the happenings of the world. The scope of Audio books for the Visually Challenged Students (VCS) is unlimited paving way to enjoy art, music, drama, history, economics, geography, literature and many more.., This would have been a dream and un-imaginable a few years ago.
- In the field of education, audio books have been notably helpful and a blessing to the visually challenged!
- Preparation of talking text books and Question banks from class I to Post Graduate level.
- Preparation of talking books for competitive exams of APPSSC, IBPS,, GK Personality development books and current affairs monthly magazin etc.,
- Free distribution of talking books to all visually challenged students/unemployees/teachers in Andhra Pradesh
- To start Talking book Library to distribute the talking books to visually challenged students in systematic way.
- Preparation of audio books with the help of new technologies eg. Daisy Books.
- Free SMS service to the VCS for career opportunities.
- Aware the visually challenged students/persons/Schools/colleges in Computer Education, installation of Screen Reading Software and other relevant Software which are useful to them.
- Helping the Visually Challenged Teaches who are working in normal schools by preparing Audio Text books.
- Free exchange of audio books with other Voluntary groups who work on parallel lines
- Guidance / Counselling and motivating VCS on self reliability.
- To act as a liaison between the sponsor and the beneficiary (VCS)
Achievement till now….,
Audio Text and guide books
VI Class Telugu, Social Studies Audio Text books
- X Class all subject Audio Text Books
- Intermediate I year Economics, Civics and Special Telugu Audio books (Given to Samrita Trust, Hyderabad for distribution)
- A. Three years guide audio books
- A Final Year Political Science Guide Audio Books(Andhra University Distance Education)
- A Final Year Telugu literature Audio Text books(Andhra University Distance Education)
- Ed text books and model paper
- Ed text books and model papers
- AP TET –I and II audio books
- Competitive exams wing
- General studies for competitive exams-17 audio books including Indian polity, Indian and AP history, World, Indian and AP Geography, Indian and AP economy, General Science, Science and Technology, G.K. for competitive Exams, Mental Ability and Disaster Management.- Its content
- General studies for competitive exams-17 audio books including Indian polity, Indian and AP history, World, Indian and AP Geography, Indian and AP economy, General Science, Science and Technology, G.K. for competitive Exams, Mental Ability and Disaster Management.- Bit banks
- Every month Current Affairs magazine called VIHANGAM audio books in MP3 format and Daisy format will be produced and kept in the website by 25th of every month(visionthroughears.org) and 50 Cds will be sent to Visually challenged students who don’t have access to Internet.
- DSC –Schools Asst. and Secondary Grade audio books
- Telugu prasnothara koumudi-question bank for Telugu UGC net exam
- Paper-I for UGC and SLET in Telugu
- And other books ……. It will continues for ever.
The part of a voluntary Social member:
Our activities are mainly on voluntary service. So any kind hearted Samaritan* can join as a member and do any related activity as per your interest. We welcome as many like minded volunteers to join hands in this endeavour.
You can join as an authorized member on a membership of Rs.1000/per annum
If you wish to do service without a membership and do honorary service, we welcome that also.
The membership amount will be used to buy Voice Recorders, CD mailers, CDs and CD covers.
The Role of a Member
- Recording Audio Books
- Co ordinate to record the Audio books by volunteers
- Recording and Novels, Children Story books
- Helping in editing the soft copies in the computer to make them to Digital Audio Books of English Language
- Correspondence with relevant persons in helping VCS
- Co ordinate in the distribution of audio books and other relevant materials to VCS in your locality.
- To serve as mentors and guiding VCS the new strategies not known to them and helping them to learn computers with the help of screen reading soft wares
- By giving basic financial support to the VCS